• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sir Humphrey

Fat Cat Public Servant
33 Badges
Sep 21, 2003
s9.invisionfree.com
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Pride of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
125px-Flag_of_the_Kingdom_of_the_Two_Sicilies_%281738%29.svg.png

Regno d’’e Doje Sicilie

90px-Fernando_II_de_las_Dos_Sicilias_2.jpg

Ferdinand II

Research
Started Experimental Railway
NF
Promote Clergy in Campania
Military
Scuttle five frigates
Disband three Infantry Regiments
I. Armata Due Sicilie (3INF/1ART) [Naples]
II. Armata Due Sicilie (3INF/1ART) [Messina]
Esercito D'Africa (3CAV)
Diplomacy
War with Oman (October) → Concession for Mombasa Region
Politics
Industry

Research
Experimental Railway
NF
Military
Esercito D'Africa (3CAV) [Occupying Omani East Africa]
Diplomacy
Oman War → Added concession for Nairobi Region
Politics
Upper House
21.4% Reactionary
64.3% Conservative
14.3% Liberal
Industry

Research
Finished Experimental Railway
Started Romanticism
NF
Military
Esercito D'Africa (3CAV) [Zanzibar]
Diplomacy
Oman War Concluded Successfully in April
Politics
Upper House
21.26% Reactionary
63.53% Conservative
15.20% Liberal
Industry
Started Cement Works in Campania
Started Liquor Distillery in Sicily
Started Liquor Distillery in Puglia

Notes
I have been playing all over the weekend and the game is great. This isn't my first time out with the game, nor the Two Sicilies which I have found very interesting to play.

I'm still getting used to the mechanics of the game as there are quite a few changes since last time! Part of the reason why I took on Oman early is because already the Great Powers are spreading their influence in me. By 1838 I'm hovering around #14 or so on the list, which changes one or two spots depending on the circumstances. Also, Two Sicilies starts with a Reactionary party in power and they have state capitalism, which is why I started building some factories to get my industrial score up. In a previous play with Two Sicilies I managed to become a Great Power (largely thanks to the near total collapse of Austria).

The plan is to get the factories up and running, as cement and liquor in my experience so far have been really profitable, and after the first railway tech is finished, research some prestige techs as well. Depending on the situation, I might go after Jahor for its precious metals. Army & Navy techs I'm not worried about. In all the games I've played, Italian reunification has happened exactly zero times with no territory changing hands (I suspect something to do with Spheres of Influence since nations can't DOW in a sphere?) So don't expect a great war just yet! Peaceful Italian unification is possible if Austria is taken care of and France is distracted but unlikely.

Where are the screenshots kept? The game folder labelled as such is empty and it would be nice to post some. So hope you enjoy. :)

Where are the screenshots kept? The game folder labelled as such is empty and it would be nice to post some. So hope you enjoy. :)
Click on "compatibility files" when you're in the screenshots folder. I assume you're using Vista or Windows 7.

I'd like to see more, as the Two Sicilies seem like a good place to get my feet wet (not too big and complex, but not too small to be doomed to insignificance) and any advice in advance is appreciated. :)

Your aar helped me decide to play the Two Sicilies. Currently conquered the Papal States and Tunisia and am 6th in Great Powers so thanks a ton I like the format a lot too!

As for screenshots there may be a problem did you digitally download it? I know when I did with Gamersgate I had to reinstall the game just so that my saved files would show up in the save games folder.(Its wierd after that its works perfectly fine.)

Sir Humphrey! An interesting style of AAR you are experimenting with. Quick and to the point, which has a certain appeal (though I do definitely prefer your in-depth narrative studies of politics!).

So you've started in Kenya.... Does this signal an intent to move up the coast toward Abyssinia and Egypt? Or will you attempt other colonial and uncivilized acquisitions instead?

Good to see you up and running. Two Sicilies is an interesting country to play, I'm certain. Had alot of fun with Sardinia.

Rensslaer

What are your long term goals for 2 Sicilies? BTW, where is the second Sicily? Does anyone know :rofl:

Research
“Romaticism”
NF
Promote Craftsmen in Campania
Military
Esercito D'Africa (3CAV) [Zanzibar]
Ordered 1x Clipper Transport
Diplomacy
Politics
Upper House
18.86% Reactionary
68.89% Conservative
12.25% Liberal
Industry
Finished Cement Works in Campania
Liquor Distillery in Sicily
Liquor Distillery in Puglia
Started Naval Base in Zanzibar
Started various railways

Research
“Romaticism”
NF
Promote Craftsmen in Campania
Military
I. Armata Due Sicilie (3xINF/1xART) [Naples]
II. Armata Due Sicilie (3xINF/1xART) [Invasion of Johore]
Esercito D'Africa (3xCAV) [Zanzibar]
Real Flotta delle Due Sicilie (1xCommerce Raider, 4xClippers)[Invasion of Johore]
Diplomacy
Johore War → Acquisition of Johore
Politics
Upper House
18.86% Reactionary
68.89% Conservative
12.25% Liberal
Industry
Finished Liquor Distillery in Sicily
Finished Liquor Distillery in Puglia
Naval Base in Zanzibar
Various railways

Research
“Romaticism”
NF
Military
I. Divisie delle Due Sicilie (3xINF/1xART) [Naples]
II. Armata Due Sicilie (3xINF/1xART) [Invasion of Johore]
Esercito D'Africa (3xCAV) [Zanzibar]
Real Flotta delle Due Sicilie (1xCommerce Raider, 4xClippers)[Invasion of Johore]
Recruit 2xCavalry in Sicilican Singapore
Diplomacy
Johore War concluded successfully in July
Politics
Upper House
22.99% Reactionary
60.83% Conservative
16.18% Liberal
Budget
v27s.jpg

Industry
Started expanding Cement Works in Campania (Iron shortage)
Naval Base in Zanzibar
Various railways

Research
Started “Steamers”
NF
Military
Recruited 1xInfantry and reorganised the military
v29r.jpg

Diplomacy
Politics
Upper House
18.22% Reactionary
65.55% Conservative
16.22% Liberal
Industry
Expanding Cement Works in Campania (Iron shortage)
Naval Base in Zanzibar
Various railways

Notes
Dachspmg & Zaku: Thanks! :)

Stuyvesant: Build cement factories! They are stupidly profitable and there are always plenty of people in TSC eager for promotion it seems.

shadow121292: This format is pretty much a departure for me, from my "usual" style that is. I'm still learning the game and I'm sure I will make more than a few mistakes.

Rensslaer: I needed a kick up the pants, as I haven't written anything in quite a long time. Hopefully this will get me into the sway of things again. Also, I choose Two Sicilies more from a game-play position than a story position, so hopefully this will be fun. As you can see in this update, Asia is going to be rich for my pickings, although Africa I may turn to when I manage to research the necessary techs to get the min. life rating lowered. I think that the life ratings need to be rebalanced as the majority of them seem to be uniformly set @ 15 save a few exceptions, and in the games I've played through, usually only one of the Great Powers (France seems to do much colonisation). I think the coastal areas should be raised but the interiors kept the same. As for Egypt, Egypt tends to curb stomp Ethiopia every game and the Ottomans get them in their sphere of influence fairly quickly. So I'm not sure what to do, it depends how things go!

aldriq: Yep, added some.

Zeppelin: Build up a decent home industrial base and a decent sized colonial empire. If Austria gets the shits with revolutions, then maybe attempt military reunification. However that would mean duking it out with possibly two Great Powers. It also depends how active the French are. They usually have more than a few of the Italian minors rapped in their SOI and Austria the others.

General Comments: Cement is stupidly profitable so far and useful in building as well. Also nabbing Johore, as seen in the screenshot is making me lots of gold now as well. Experiencing a shortage of Iron which seems quite common in most games. Just had one outbreak of Reactionary rebels in Naples, but experience will tell me that is nothing and usually the shit will hit the fan sooner or later.

I need advice. When I am able to start reforming what is the best path? Do other reforms other than voting method first such as trade unions, upper house style etc? Or doesn't it matter? In a few games, I have tried creating voting rights, which fires "Prussian Constitutionalism" event but I never seem able to introduce reforms after that because of the make up of the voters?

Last edited:
You need at least 50% of your upper house to be supportive of reforms (aka: liberal). However, each reform removes 10% of liberals from the upper house, so you need to wait again.

Interesting Sir H, most interesting. I hope you get your mojo back with this escapade and return to your traditional majestic style.

Very interesting to focus on Asia.

You've got a naval base at Zanzibar to allow you to reach Johore more easily, yes? How did your expedition fare before the Base was completed? That's a long stretch!

Excellent!

Rensslaer

I must admit, I just saw your name and felt compelled to read this.

I am still feeling my way with the game, too. Your notes are giving me plenty of food for thought. I hope to read more, Sir Humphrey.